What is the Buddy Programme?
The purpose of this programme is to provide individualized assistance for a new international student. By assisting students in adapting to a new country, culture, and environment, we hope to create a less stressful transition and a more hospitable, welcoming atmosphere. This programme is all about exchanging experiences, making international friendships and learning about different cultures.
What is a buddy?
A buddy is a person who assists a newcomer in adjusting to a social situation or to the local routine. The buddy is another student who can serve as a resource and a helping hand or friend who guides a less experienced person by providing, encouragement and information to students new to Toi Ohomai and New Zealand.
If you are a new international student who needs a “Buddy” to:
- help you adapt to a new environment,
- help improve communication, study and interpersonal skills,
- provide practical advice, encouragement and support….
SIGN UP NOW!
The buddy and mentor relationship is dependent on trust and connection. The buddy-mentor agreement provides some direction to the relationship and guides you as to how the partnership will work.
You can download the agreement form here – Mentoring Agreement Form
You can be a ‘Buddy Mentor’ if you
- have studied at Toi Ohomai for at least one semester,
- want to develop leadership and interpersonal skills,
- can serve as a resource and lend a helping hand in integrating students into Toi Ohomai student life,
- are interested in engaging with the international community….
SIGN UP NOW!
Before you become a buddy mentor we recommend you read the buddy mentor job description – Buddy Mentor Job Description 2018